Green Sunday, November 13th, 5:00 – 6:45 pm
Welcoming the Next Generation of Greens – Rebranding the Green Party?
Join us at our next Green Sunday! It will happen on November 13 in North Oakland, 5:00 – 6:45pm, and will be a “Let’s get going” roundtable discussion.
One of the most anticipated elections in our lifetime will be over, and it will be time for the “real political revolution” to begin.
This was the year Bernie Sanders popularized terms like “democratic socialism” and “billionaire class.” After the betrayal of the primaries and Philadelphia, many millennials participated in DemExit and registered Green, activating and reactivating Green Party locals in counties around California.
The new young Greens — and not-so-young Greens — are working together to create what Jill Stein has called “the future we deserve.” The ideas include:
* Reaching out to high schools and colleges to expand political education for the future
* Movement schools as well as campaign schools
* Organizing around pressing issues: Black Lives Matter, environmental sanity, student debt, organic not corporate marijuana, economic justice
* Creating the Green Party to be the clear and obvious electoral arm of the social justice and environmental movements
* “People funding” — possibly the idea of dues as proposed at the Green convention in Houston
* Gathering people in engaging ways to work toward that better world we know is possible
Join us for an evening with no long speeches, and much forward movement!
— Laura Wells (former Green Party candidate for CA governor and state controller) will facilitate the roundtable discussion.
— A.J. Hill will tell us about the newly reactivated UC Berkeley Greens.
— Ben Emery (former congressional candidate from Nevada County) will share his experience in high school AP classes.
— Invited guests include other Green activists from the Bay Area as well as from counties such as Yolo and Sacramento.
WHEN: Sunday, November 13th, 5:00-6:45 pm. Doors open at 4:45
(SAVE THE DATE for the next Green Sunday on December 11 — our annual holiday party!)
LOCATION: Niebyl-Proctor Library, 6501 Telegraph Ave. at 65th in North Oakland
DIRECTIONS: One block north of Alcatraz on the West side of Telegraph, wheelchair accessible. Buses pass by regularly. Ashby BART is approximately 7 blocks away.
SPONSOR: Green Sundays are a series of free programs & discussions sponsored by the Green Party of Alameda County. They are held on the 2nd Sunday of each month. (Please submit suggestions for future topics.) The monthly business meeting of the County Council of the Green Party of Alameda County follows at 7 pm; council meetings are always open to anyone who is interested. Please visit our website https://acgreens.wordpress.com.