Representation for the People is a coalition of progressive East Bay organizations. We’re organizing to elect a new Sheriff and District Attorney in Alameda County.
Our next public meeting will take place:
Monday, November 18, 2013, 7:00 pm
6501 Telegraph (at 65th Street)
Oakland, CA 94609
For the last few decades the sheriff and D.A. have appeared on the ballot unopposed every four years. The next election will be June 3, 2014. We can defeat Sheriff Greg Ahern and District Attorney Nancy O’Malley if we find candidates and organize. Please mark your calendar and bring a friend & your ideas to the meeting.
SOME THINGS A NEW SHERIFF COULD DO:
- Insist that local police departments abide by CA State Law by citing and releasing non-violent suspects by refusing to jail these suspects at Santa Rita.
- Create a civilian review board for the Sheriff’s Department including Santa Rita jail.
- Create an independant Coroner’s Office.
- Abandon efforts to buy and operate drones.
- Refuse to participate in ICE raids and deportation.
- Implement new policies for solitary confinement at Santa Rita.
- Rehabilitate prisoners incarcerated at Santa Rita.
- De-militarize our Sheriff’s Department.
SOME THINGS A NEW DISTRICT ATTORNEY COULD DO:
- Refuse to prosecute drug cases.
- Refuse to jail non-violent offenders.
- Create a policy of restorative justice by working with community organizations and victims to rehabilitate non-violent offenders.
- Investigate and prosecute all police misconduct.
- Expand the ‘Brady List’ which is the D.A.’s list of police officers that have lied or fabricated evidence and police reports.
- Expand and improve anti-human trafficking efforts.
THE OFFICE OF THE SHERIFF AND DISTRICT ATTORNEY BELONG TO THE PEOPLE! HOPE TO SEE YOU AT THE MEETING.
-Your friends at Representation for the People. For more information contact: email@example.com or phone: (510) 509-7573